Instructions serves 6
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius (356 fahrenheit) in a bake setting
- Have a pot of water in a deep saucepan over heat and bring to the boil, ready to cook your pasta for later
- Cut your garlic cloves into thin slices and rough chop your herbs and set aside for the oil later
- Peel your sweet potatoes
- Cut your sweet potatoes into ‘cylandarous’ (cube like) pieces
- Cut your butternut pumpkin into four parts and cut them into cute like pieces (make sure to remove the hard edges of the pumpkin)
- Grab a baking tray, line it with baking paper and place both the sweet potato and butternut pumpkin pieces on the tray
- Add a drizzle (like 2 tablespoons) of oil and season with salt & pepper (no need to toss the vegetables with the seasoning)
- Then pop them into the oven for 10-15 minutes or until you start to see it char
- With the pot of boiling water, add a pinch of salt and then add all the pasta noodles, remembering you should not push down your pasta but let it slowly fall into the water. Let your pasta cook for 10-12 minutes
- Once pasta has been cooked, drain onto a colander and rinse with water from the tap to avoid it from overcooking
- Remove roasted vegetables from oven and set aside
- On a separate pan, add oil and set to a medium to high heat. Once that has been done, add chopped garlic cloves
- Once garlic cloves have browned, add 3-4 anchovies fillets and bring pan down to a low to medium heat.
- Add chopped herbs to pan
- Once the pan settles add about 6 tablespoons of oil to let everything infuse.
- Remove pan from stovetop and place on top of wooden chopping board and add your cooked noodles to coat
- Your roasted vegetables should be ready at this point, you may now add them on top of your coated pasta.
- Then serve on a plate and garnish with parsley, basil, salt & pepper, a drizzle of herb oil (Recipe for Homemade Herb Oil will be up from Nathe Bites MORE) and any grated cheese, I use pecorino. Make sure to add heaps of cheese!
- 500g of San Remo angel hair pasta
- 1 whole sweet potato (any colour)
- a quarter cut butternut pumpkin
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of chopped parsley
- half a cup of chopped basil
- olive oil
- herb oil (from most local delis)
- anchovy fillets
- pecorino cheese
- salt and pepper
Honestly, this is the dish I run to and make when I want to feel like a ‘vegetarian’ and not have to eat bland food. Again, it’s all about knowing what ingredients to use to bring out the best flavours.
A quick dish you can make in less than half an hour, no fuss with soft roasted vegetables. If you have your own pasta maker, go ahead and prepare your pasta fresh! It would take a little longer.
I say vegetarian, but having anchovy oil is that cheeky ingredient to still give the dish that depth. Also the cheese! haha.
Perfect for any spring lunch or summer night in. Pass it around the table and delight your pallet in earthy flavours.